Make this creative art contest part of your Green Energy Challenge activities!
Ask your students to create a t-shirt design on an 8.5"x11" paper that addresses the following question:
How to Participate
What's your favorite way to save energy?Students can come up with their favorite strategy for at home or at school. Refer to GEF's list of energy saving tips to help get started.
To create a meaningful and educational experience, we recommend prefacing this fun art contest with a lesson or activity that will help facilitate discussions and brainstorming sessions. Below are a few you might like. You can also visit the Curriculum and Activities section or the Sustainability Lesson Clearinghouse to find more!
- K-2 - Energy Carnival Games
- PreK-2 - Solar Matters
- Grades 3-5 - Draft-o-Meter
- Grades 3-5 - Energy Conservation
Submit entries via email, fax, or mail to Green Education Foundation (GEF). Please include school name, school address, grade level, teacher name, phone number and email address.
Prizes for RI and MA Winner!
The winner from RI or MA will be invited to throw out the first pitch during the opening ceremony of the Red Sox game celebrating Earth Day. The student will also receive a $250 cash award for their school and t-shirts printed with the student's winning design for their class. The winning design will also be posted on GEF's website and will be worn by National Grid employees on Earth Day 2013!
Prizes for New York Winner!The winner in New York will receive a $250 cash award for their school and t-shirts printed with the student's winnign design for their class. The winning design will also be posted on GEF's website and will be worn by National Grid employees on Earth Day 2013!
There are ways to boost your chances of winning!
- Submit photos of students participating in the drawing activity or other energy lesson
- Ask students to write one sentence about why saving energy is important. Submit the sentences on the back of the drawings or on a separate sheet of paper when you submit the t-shirt designs
EligibilityStudents from grades K-5 in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New York may participate.
Entries must be received by March 15, 2013 to be eligible for consideration.
Contest rules and guidelines:
- Artwork must be on 8.5" x 11" paper.
- All entries must be original artwork created by a student who is currently in Kindergarten - Grade 5.
- A student may enter the contest only once.
- The student's first and last name must be written or signed in the lower right hand corner on the front of the t-shirt design.
- Schools must be located in National Grid territories (MA, RI, and NY).
- Keep in mind that the artwork will be transferred to a t-shirt so fill the whole paper, use vibrant colors and avoid using words in the design.
Please do not submit:
- Collages (Do not glue anything on your artwork.)
- Computer or photo generated art and/or printing.
- Entries with the names of commercial products, companies, or organizations.
- Entries that are matted, mounted, laminated, framed, or folded.
Please remember, originals cannot be returned. All entries become property of GEF.
*Note - By submitting your artwork, you agree that you have transferred the rights of the design entirely to the contest holders.