The GTC Grant is Sponsored by:
2013 Challenge Winners
Congratulations to the students at Tappan Middle School in Ann Arbor, Michigan for winning the 2013 Green Thumb Challenge grant!
GEF received many grant applications from across the country. Congratulations and thank you to everyone who submitted an entry as every garden was unique and demonstrated the amazing things that happen when children are connected with nature!
Be sure to read about the garden projects of the finalists, listed to the right.
How Tappan Middle School will use the $1,000 grant award:
• Meet with teachers to identify barriers to student participation
• Engage an intern for hours (additional to the After School Club) for sixth grade and family recruitment activities ($600)
• Follow teacher suggestions for targeted outreach and individual recruitment from program coordinator
• Reach out to parents individually with reminder phone calls the day before club, follow up calls when missed club, etc. to help students stay engaged
• Recruit and train 8th grade student to visit 6-7 grade classes to highlight the garden and after school club (materials $150)
• Print new outreach materials ($75)
• Assist classroom teachers with recruiting and acknowledging parent volunteers for their class initiatives
• Pay a small stipend to the Food and Garden Club teacher sponsor through the PTSO ($75)
• Work with PTSO to boost family involvement and address barriers to after school participation, such as transportation (carpooling, group walking)
• Purchase supplies for seedling distribution and after school sale ($100)
• Assess and prioritize ongoing activities for parent volunteers to ensure sustainability into the future