Raised Bed Instructions
Just what you were looking for: a simple set of instructions for building your own raised bed!
Difficulty Level: EASY!
Estimated Time for Project: 2-3 hours (depending on experience)
Step 1- Preparing to drill into the wood:
• Measure 3/4" from the end and side of the board to create two "x" marks on each end of the long boards.
• Drill pilot holes for the screws into the "x" so the wood board does not split at the end.
• Repeat this on all the long (8′) boards until they all have two pilot holes on each end.
• After you’ve finished drilling the pilot holes, swap the drill bit for the Phillips screwdriver bit.
Step 2- Building the bottom layer:
• Stand two long boards and two short boards on their sides and line them up.
• Insert long screws through the pilot holes of the long boards into the very end of the shorter boards.
• Hold the boards firmly while you drill. Attach both screws on the end of each board before moving on to the next corner.
• Drill into all four sides to make a rectangle with all of the boards attached
Step 3-Securing the base to stakes, and leveling the base:
• Take a stake and drive it into the corner of the most level side of the box
• Leave about 4-6 inches of stake sticking up above the board.
• Level up the two sides of the board, one short and one long, on either side of the stake. Leveling this bottom layer of the flower bed is very important.
• Once that side is level, insert the drill bit again and drill two pilot holes through the board into the stake. Insert two of the shorter screws to secure it.
• Repeat this step: drive a stake into the other corner and attach the board to the stake with screws.
Step 4-Squaring off the base:
• Before staking the other end into the ground, use the carpenter's square to make the remaining corners perfect 90º angles.
• Stake the final two corners by pounding them into the ground as before.
• Level this side before drilling the stakes to the boards
Step 5-Securing the base:
• Now that it is perfectly level, the base needs to be secured into the ground.
• Drive 2 more stakes into the ground so that the stakes appear as shown here:
**The extra stakes along the middle of the boards will prevent the bed from expanding and bowing in the middle**
Repeat above steps for drilling stakes to boards--mark with an "x" and drill pilot holes before drilling into the board to firmly secure it.
Step 6-Building up the top layer:
• Since the bottom boards are already level, you can begin by attaching the top layer of boards to the stakes--also already in place.
• Drill pilot holes through the board and into the stake and insert the short screws to attach the board to the stake.
• Attach the ends with long screws just like you did on the bottom layer.
Step 7-Stand back and admire your new raised bed garden!