Watch the Fisher School Video
National Green Week Raffle WinnersCongratulations to the GEF members who won eco-friendly prizes for signing up before Feb. 1! Click here to view the winners and their prizes!
Saint Paul, MN
City Academy is committed to protecting our environment and serving our community. One of the most visible means to demonstrate this commitment is through the hard work of the members of the Green Team. From April - September, this group of 15 students is very involved in "green" projects at the school and in the neighborhood. Led by a City Academy staff member and a horticulture intern from a local college, this team has accomplished an impressive amount in the brief period of mild weather this Spring in Minnesota.
2011 Spring Green Team Projects include:
- Student Vegetable Garden – The Green Team transformed a nearby vacant lot into an urban vegetable and flower garden. Produce from the garden will be used in student lunches or donated to neighbors and the local foodshelf.
- Rain Gardens – The students learn about water converation through the three onsite rain gardens. Also, the Green Team will be installing a rain garden in the neighborhood in late May.
- Senior Pocket Park – The Green Team is continuing Phase 2 of the Pocket Park project by installing a handicap – accesessible patio for the senior residents to use. The Green Team is also landscaping the surounding area with native plants.
- Plant Sale – The Green Team is involved in the school’s first-ever plant sale. The proceeds will be used to support future “green” activities.
- Neighborhood Green Information Fair – In honor of Earth Day, the Green Team helped plan, set-up and worked at the school’s Green Fair.
- Big Urban Woods – The Green Team was part of the action which help transformed a local dumping ground back into a pristine urban forest for all residents to use and enjoy.
- Rain Barrels – The Green Team helped create over 40-handpainted rain barrels and install the hardware. There was a focused distribution plan for households near the school.
- Yard Clean-Ups – The Green Team helps senior or disabled neighbors with Spring-time yard care.
The Green Team will be working throughout the spring, summer and fall to make our school and neighborhood a little bit greener.