Tips for the OfficeThere are plenty of easy ways to reduce the amount of waste generated in the office. Check it out!
Reduce Paper Waste
Did you know that a single-sided, double-spaced document uses four times as much paper as a double-sided, single-spaced document?
- Eliminate unnecessary copies, notes, and memos by:
- posting announcements in central locations
- reformatting faxes to eliminate cover sheets
- editing on the computer to print documents only once
- Use all paper on two sides whenever possible by:
- set printer and photo copier to default to double sided printing
- print rough drafts and informal documents on the back of scrap paper
- reuse computer paper for notes and scrap paper
- Single space documents whenever possible
- Make margins more narrow so more fits on one page
- Use a smaller font size
- Reuse file folders
- Use narrow lined notepads
- Switch to paperless billing
- Unsubscribe from unwanted junk mail, newspapers and magazines
Switch from Disposable to ReusableNon durable goods comprise a large portion of the waste stream. Save money and reduce waste by purchasing refillable and reusable items.
- Use nondisposable tablewate such as mugs, silverware and plates
- Use cloth towels in kitchens and bathrooms
- Refill ink cartridges
- Buy reusable coffee filters
- Use mechanical pencils and refillable pens
- Buy refillable tape dispensers
- Use undated, erasable wall calendars
- Reuse envelopes with metal clasps
- Eliminate bottled water at meetings
- Request supplies be delivered in reusable or recyclable containers
Other Office Tips
- Use long lasting, energy efficient lightbulbs, especially those with an ENERGY STAR rating
- Consider a products warranty and service contracts so you can extend a products life before replacing it
- Purchase equipment, such as calculators, can openers and pencil sharpeners, that do not require batteries as these can be hazardous to dispose of.
- Buy coffee, tea and sugar in bulk
- Donate unwanted food, furniture and other materials instead of throwing them away.